Okay folks, I am attempting to recreate PistilWhipt's infamous thread, called Prune Along, that he composed over at CW. This is still one of the best written, most informative threads that truly does increase yields and eliminates "popcorn" buds in favor of massive colas.

Now, granted, it isn't quite the same without PW's pics to help visually with his technique. However, in the wake of such a massive loss of canna-related info on both OG and CW, I felt that this was mandatory to at least save PistilWhipt's words on the matter. Maybe this will "fire up" other people to recreate their favorite grow threads from the cached files that still exist on Google of ALL threads from OG and CW. Let this stand as my contribution to preserving this almost lost and invaluable information.

My ONLY request is that NO ONE post AT ALL until I've pieced all this information together from start to finish so that it may be read in it's entirety without other posts breaking it up. I will say when it's complete and then everyone is welcome to post up their thoughts. Again, please refrain from posting until this is done. I'll try to do it as quickly as possible but please wait until I tell you it's done . . . Thanks!!

==================================================

Pistilwhipt
Ok kids,here goes...I'm gonna run through an entire grow one cut at a time.Complete with pics and details.I'll be demonstrating the techniques I use to encourage the onset of dense heavy potent buds.Avoiding as much of the dreaded popcorn as possible.I will be using both train wreck and soma's lavender for this thread.I will begin posting pics as soon as tomorrow.Every time I prune I will post pics before and after,and answer any questions that arise.Hope this helps. Peace PW

RogertheShrubber
Thanks Pistilwhipt! Since I grow in only a small cabby the moment I will be following this thread closely. My last grow was very nice but could have benefited with some trimming as they were so bushy. My final yeald from one plant was 3.45 zips under a 400 and would have been much better with some pruning for sure. I have seached the OG archives for some detailed pruning for yeald shows. But most of them turned into opinionated slams on why not to prune. Please help me, help myself Pistilwhipt!
Thanks for sharing
ROG

Budular
Nice PW, A detailed look at the methods that produce loaf sized train wreck buds.
I've sampled the wares of PW, everybody ought to listen up this guy knows of what he speaks. He's "on the good foot"
PW tell us the one about the hooka and the train wreck hash, great method to get a man or woman on the moon. Straight to the head, no cieling, takes you right back to high school memories of being the highest you've ever been.
I'll be dialed into this thread following every detail. Thanks and praises. Irie, bud

Pistilwhipt
Ok,here we go...This is at about 2wks veg.having been topped once.This goes for both the lavender and the train.No pruning has taken place yet,first three pics are train wreck(grey container)second three, Lavender(blue container).

Pistilwhipt
First prune will be tomorrow.I'll try to work on the settings of my camera to correct the color.Till later ... PW

Tha Chef
Hey 2mjw, I was thinkin the same thing, "damn those are some branchy plants for two weeks?" But then i realized that while i never have plants that big at two weeks, i also never have plants in such large container at two weeks, which confirms my idea that if you want monsters, start them off in big pots. PW how large are those buckets exactly, and this Lavender isn't from that pack you got from SD, is it? I can't recall if you said you picked up clones or if they're from beans?

Pistilwhipt
Ok...let's see.I top my cuttings @ about the 4th or 5th node when they are real young.Basically just when they actively start growing after sprouting roots.As far as actual time I'd say these have been veging for 18 days.These are 12 gallon containers w/2 cubic feet of my own amended soil mix...and honestly damn near every plant I grow branches this wildly,train wreck the least!And yes chef,if you want monsters you need to let 'em breathe...this includes root space as well as physical space.Where the lavender is concerned...I'm sad to say that soma totally dropped the ball and cut contact with me after saying he would replace the ripoff beans that gypsy sent me.He said he had a pack with my name on it, I sent him my addy and a couple more e-mails and...nada.It's been 5 months now...So,the lavender I have here is a genuine cut from a freind.This is the first time I have flowered it,so you will see for the first time as I will how the lav. reacts to my method.I'lll try to get in there and prune some tonight. More to come... Peace PW

TukTuk Seeds
Very good pistil, we pr e to similar effect ourselves on some plants!

Pistilwhipt
O.k. the first cuts have meen made.At this first prune I like to be very aggressive so as to cut down on the work required when it comes time to prune again.(strain dependent of course)After this initial prune,I like to allow the plants time to recover and get back into the groove.If you're doing things correctly it should be no time at all before they are growing again.Perhaps a couple days max.After they are actively growing again just keep your eyes peeled for renegade shoots...but we'll get to that later.
Peace PW

Pistilwhipt
O.k. here are the before shots of the train wreck...

Pistilwhipt
And these are after the prune ...

Pistilwhipt
These next shots are of the lavender before prune...

Pistilwhipt
And now after prune...

Pistilwhipt
Here's an over head of the train,so you can get a better idea of the spread/balance and uniformity.

Pistilwhipt
And now one of the lavender...these are both after prune...

Pistilwhipt
On average I like to leave 6 to 8 branches(plant willing)behind.You just have to listen to the plants of course,they will let you know how much they can handle.So you see it's not a matter of loosing any canopy it will still be there to soak up all the light.It's just a matter of directing the flow of energy through the plant.Removing all of the lower shoots and branches which would be shaded or otherwise non productive.I will keep this up as long as there is interest I suppose...My original intent was to run this thread out till the end,you know till harvest. Peace PW

Pistilwhipt
Ahh yesss...the shoes...Well daddy likes his feet to breathe like da roots of da ganja LOL!!!

oaksterdam97
Hey PW Im interested !! Thankx for the informative thread. I'm looking forward to any additional pruning during flowering as my experience w/ TW is a tall sativa-type. I love my sativas, but love the indica pheno colas on my SSH Looking forward to the learn-along
Much apprecilove!!

Reverend Budbreath
Nice! This should inspire indoor growers everywhere who need to evolve. I know I did, I finally got sick enough of trimming popcorn budlets to take the plunge and will be even more agressive next time.

It takes a lot of deprogramming for a lot of people to get over the fear of taking off too much vegetation. I know you went through this too PW and I think most all of us do. It seems counterintuitive to cut anything off, and lord knows we love every little bud site. Several grows trimming that lame underdeveloped stuff and having overcrowding was finally enough for me however.

We can all do it. Viva le PRUNE!

BUDDY BOY
Yeah i feel you rev. i am sure pruning next go.

DeltaNugz
Please Please Please!!! follow this thread to completion PW!

I've always felt that pruning in this manner was the way to go, but I've never had the balls to follow through with it. All my friends would tell me I was crazy and killing my yeild, but the idea that pruning suckers from the very start would increase yeild makes perfect sense to me.

Nickel Back
Hey PW, so glad to follow along with the master...

So, you are removing the lower growth shoots without taking the corresponding fan leaves?

Also, would you recommend basing the extent of the pruning upon the size and penetration of your light? Or would you prune the same way regardless of the lighting?

Thanks,

Nickel Back

crazaer
yeah baby!
too bad you lost those pfunk cats.... especially bootsy! ahahhaha
i love the shoes, i have the same pair fixed with duct tape.
your pruning style is strong, and the aggressive flair in growing i can appreciate as well as the growth rate. i top for scrog just like this and always have. yes, ickelnay, pruning is most effective with a complete pentration of the foliage. i talked to this rbitish cat one time who told me tha the light has to be so intense that the lumens reachj the inner recesses of the bud to continue to expand from the inside and bust out like an explosion!
question:
i have romulan and the stems are totally hollow. i scrog, prune, and supercrop if you believe that! hah!
should i use something to seal the hole into the inner hurd?
lemme know and keep those shoes hot james!

Sauron the Blue
if no one else has noticed before, often times pruning the plants in the manner pistilwhipped described will shorten the flowering time considerably.

I read a paragraph or so ya dropped once about how your prune, which is real similar to how id prune a plant like that. I have some pics of some 6 week harvest pics in my gallery of some morning star from 3rd floor and i pruned it this way and it was done in 39 days, could of pulled it then but that shits crazy, let it go the full 6. my buddy grows this on trees (2" trunk) and on lil shrubs, I do it sog, his takes an extra 2 weeks to finish usually.

Lucas
> I like to leave 6 to 8 branches

Thank you!

this is a very useful thread. I do think a picture of plants now and at harvest will help many people get over the fear of pruning

indoors we dont have the benefits of sunlight, so growing an unpruned plant indoors is not going to result in good lighting, like it can outdoors

even outdoor plants benefit from shaping up, ie, removing lower skinny branches

I will propose a rule of thumb:
remove the bottom 3 branch pairs on a clone, top it at node 7. This leaves 6 blooming branches, much like Pistilwhipt is doing.

Im trying to point out that there is a pattern, the bottom 3 pairs tend to get shaded. Plants with 6 heads do well indoors. Dont top the blooming branches, only top the main shoot, and only once. Remove the bottom 3 branch pairs (or alternates) on the 6 blooming branches too.

Notice how Pistilwhipt "reads" the plants, iow, look at the canopy mass and size of root zone. They move towards being the same size. No wimpy skinny branches in Pistilwhipt's examples.

Way to go!
Lucas

Pistilwhipt
Right on people...Glad you are interested so far.Don't worry I plan on running this thread out through harvest, pics when nessecary.Yes the rev. took a lot of pestering,however I think he's seen the light.Pruning really is a nessecity when working indoors.H.I.D. lighting can never get to all of the plant like the good ole sun.I give every plant I grow this treatment,they love it!!
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, you are removing the lower growth shoots without taking the corresponding fan leaves?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes exactly,the fan leaves must be left behind!!I remove the lower fan leaves once they are shaded by the canopy,but not till then. At which time the lower third worth of fan leaves are removed for proper air flow beneath the girls.
quote:
i have romulan and the stems are totally hollow. i scrog, prune, and supercrop if you believe that. should i use something to seal the hole into the inner hurd?
lemme know and keep those shoes hot james!

Absolutely not,leave the ladies alone in that dept.Some just grow that way.

Pistilwhipt
I also have a test area,with kc-33,bubba,black domina,aloha white widow,and grapefruit haze all of which have received the "PW method". I can post some shots of these as well I suppose. They were just put into flower about 1.5 weeks ago.Peace , PW

crazaer
i find that testing my pruning methods on tomatoes and peas is the best learning experience because of the low value of the finished product, any other dabblerrs like me?

Reverend Budbreath
Hey PW, some follow up for me: doing the big prune 3 days or so into flowering (from-seed plants) will still work okay right? Not too late right? I know it would be better sooner, but certain canna-clergy are looking at their first good opportunity at that point after getting hit with unexpectedly early transplant chores (they've learned *too* much vigor can throw off your calendar!!)...

Pistilwhipt
No sweat rev.trim those ladies up bro... Peace , PW

oaksterdam97
Hey PW, is there a general too late time to trim, I'm thinking like 2-3 weeks in flower, cuz i like ta burn sativa.

crazaer
which part of the method are you looking to do? top or train or both or other?
i think you could still train em right if you already have enough flowertops going, but veg is the time to fim or top clone these ladies, imho. you can trim your fan leaves that are blocking potential budsites, though.

Pistilwhipt
Two weeks is generally the cut off for most plants,other than heavy sativa influenced strains.A good rule of thumb is to stop pruning once the bud sites are about the size of a pencil eraser.You def. have more time where most sativas are concerned.As far as topping you want to get that out of the way soon as possible.I like to top and choose my main branches as early as I can.Usually within 1st wk of veg. I'll be posting some more shots tonight.There has been no need to do any more pruning as of yet,and I dropped them (12/12)last night.However till I prune again I figured I would post a couple shots of the progress of the two ladies in question.I'll keep the pics coming of these two so you guys can see first hand the effects of this pruning method beginning to end. Peace , PW

lungbuster
PW,
Thanks for sharing some of your extensive knowlege of pruning.

I saw some of your photos here on CW last week of the plant that produced 6.2 oz. for you. I was impressed..to say the least!

Keep up the good work!

Lungbuster

bopper
PW,

Thanks for the excellent method and thread.

If it isn't too much of an aside, how would your pruning method differ with plants grown from seed?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

bopper

Pistilwhipt
You guys are very welcome.My goal with this here nifty thread is to remove the fear of pruning from the picture for you guys.I will show that you will not lose ,in fact gain in the yeild and quality dept.It's hard to imagine removing all those potential flower sites,but as you will see,it all pays off in the end. Peace PW

identity_theory
Oh, it works... I just ran Pistil's pruning method on a trained Juicy Fruit, and though I have yet to weigh it out, it looks like it's going to be in the 7 ounce range. I'm definitely going to be pruning everything from now on. Hopefully I'll have pics of the harvest to show in a couple of days. Thanks, Pistil!

Pistilwhipt
Right on theory,Let's see some shots bro... Peace PW

Pistilwhipt
Bopper...The metod would not vary at all,seed or clone.Thing to remember here is to watch your girls.Do the initial topping,and as soon as you can see the onset of your "main"branches select the ones you will keep and remove the rest.Then you follow through with the prune. Peace , PW

Pistilwhipt
Ok so here we are 6 days after initial heavy prune.Just dropped the girls 12/12 on 1st.Now they are ready for a clean up...removing any fresh shoots that have shot out over the last 6 days.Here are some pics.

Pistilwhipt
The first one is the lavender and the second one is the train wreck.You can see the contrast between the heavy sativa influenced train wreck and the more indica dom.lavender.The stretch on the train shoots is always fast.Especially when pruning like this.It makes 'em bolt like crazy. Any how the shoots you see under the crown at the top of each train, and lav. branches will be removed.Here are a couple full shots.First lavender second train.................................

blkramm69
PW, you are the man, man! I've been scared to death to cut my babies, but now I'm encouraged. Growing coral reef, blue heaven, oaksterdam goo, jack herer, super kush, ogre and 1 blackberry. probably too many strains for my first crop, but I like the varietah - will post some pics soon!!! good lookin out and I'm diggin the birkenstocks!

Oldbull
You definitely know how to motivate a guy. Thanks for the lessons and please keep them coming. Off topic the Rev said you need a new avatar. Here's one (using your bud).
Thanks,
OB

Oldbull
Thanks also for the tip on how to deal with the PM, I needed that

OB

Pistilwhipt
Right on bull that's funny shit(avatar)...but I have to say I'm stuck on james right now...he looks so beat in that shot it kills me LOL!!For some reason even though I am subscribed to this forum it is not letting me know when ther are new posts.Hmmm,guess I'll have to keep checking the old fashioned way. PW

Pistilwhipt
Oh yeah,You're welcome I'm glad I could help. PW

Oldbull
I hear ya, I think James deserves the new famed claim that you bring to him.
OB

crazaer
for realz.....
prune on the good foot!
gotcha!

Pistilwhipt
Let 'em breathe my man let 'em breathe...Man after my own heart. I wear my birkenstocks year round bro,I have a couple pair.I wear those bastards in the winter and rain!!! LOL!!!I am about to take a few more shots and post in a day or so...There hasn't been any more pruning thus far,however now we are day 8 into flower and ready for another aggressive prune.I will follow this out till harvest,just didn't want to babble on an d keep this thread as informative as possible.I will gladly answer any and all questions in reference to this thread I wish to see people benefit from this method... Peace PW >

crazaer
for realz.....
prune on the good foot!
gotcha!

oaksterdam97
Staying witcha PW.

oaksterdam97
Btw im having same problem w/ 'subscibed threads', i think i always have. Peace.

three_little_birds
Ladies and gentlemen . . . Boys and Girls . . . herbologists of all ages (over 18 of course) . . .

we say listen to this man!!!!

we've used similar techniques to increase our yields for years now and can't say stongly enough how well these methods have worked for us . . .

and on another subject . . .
quote:
I wear my birkenstocks year round bro

again we find ourselves nodding in agreement . . . let them dogs breath!

Pistilwhipt
Breathe doggies breathe...

Tusker
I really appreciate this thread. I only have a couple of 250's so maximizing light usage is very important to me. Last grow I noticed that the lower growth was about as useful as a sucker on a tomato. I pruned some of it and it seemed to help but thanks to the really fine data Pw that I pruned my new grow to your instructions yesterday. They still look really healthy with no signs of damage from the procedure. Using this technique with my usual training is going to really squeeze every last lum out of those lil lamps. I am going to try the same thing on my tomatos.

Pistilwhipt
Ok,so here we are day 12 into flower...@ day 10 I went in for another heavy prune , it was time.Once again you must feel it out with your ladies...they will let you know when it's time.I let these go a little long for demonstration purposes.That way it will be clear what to remove.They probably should have been pruned as early as 8 days into flower. The first two shots are train before and after.The next two lavender before and after. PW

midsummer

midsummer
Where did you get the balls to prune so heavily in the first place? I know it has worked for you in the past; but was it something you slowly added onto little by little or did you have another plant model in mind (like the tomatoes)?
BTW I thought TW was supposed to have spindly stems. Yours are quite strong looking!
How much light are you using please. Great thread thanks PW.

Pistilwhipt
Well the balls grew a little slower than my plants...LOL!!! It took me a few years of successively more aggressive pruning before I was where I'm at now with it.Yes the train has very spindly stems...this is another example of re-directing the energy of the plant.When pruned as such the stems really pack on the meat...however they still won't be able to support the buds to come.So staking is always a must with trainwreck.I'm hovering around the 50 watt per square foot mark. Peace , PW

Pistilwhipt
Enough stem shots,how 'bout some GLANDS!!!

barrian
Fantastic Thread PW. You are a true "Ganja God". Your girls look very happy with the love and care that you give them. I wish I had read this a few weeks ago as I am about 25 days into 12-12 and am going to end up with some of the usual popcorn that I am unfortunatlly used to. No more. Anyways one quick question for ya. How much room do you give your girls with this type of grow. How many per square foot?

Thanks for the schooling PW.
Barrian

Greenja
Late to the party I see!

I've seen PW's wreck, and his buds are huge compared to the wreck I grew out. I spent 2.5hrs last night in replicating PW's agressive style of pruning on my wreck on dy3 of flower. VERY interested in seeing how they turn out...

Thanks for sharing all PW!

Greenja

oaksterdam97
Wondering if that'll be the final prune? It looks like you only leave the top 3-5 nodes? It could have been done on day 8 but whats the latest date ? Day 14? Thankx PW. Peace.

Pistilwhipt
Thanks guys...barrian,I put 4 girls under one 1k fixture,however you garden the principle is the same.If it's not in the light cut it off.You want a full canopy regardless,you just want to prune all the shoots as described.Right on greenja...you'll have to repeat that agressive prune at the very least one more time before they are through...The train must be tamed or she will run wild w/shoots and branches,which lead to the dreaded popcorn. Oaksterdam , the plants will let you know when it's too late to prune.You are going to want to stop right around the time they stop stretching...this is usually about 2 weeks into flower.Each plant is different just keep your eyes peeled. Peace , PW

whitefly
Its strange how the stems on the leaves go that red colour after pinching
looks kinds like a stressed plant, but the tops are unstressed - strange.

Pistilwhipt
Actually,the stems on the leaves are always that red color on the train.Pinched or not. PW

ThinkTank
PW: Thanks man (for the time and the pix. obviously, many have been interested in your first TW thread where you show the buds next to the fiskers)
! it looks like this thread will soon become a nice photo gallery an d ppl saying thanks for the fatties!

can we assume that the yield is about the same (or better) than letting the girls go wild?

To the new grower, it seems counter intuitive to prune so much. However, after trimming the bottom half of a plant or two, one quickly realizes how much energy was spent on creating the shoot, the leaves, and other supporting structures so that the calyx may final peek out.

PW (and others):"the plants will let you know when it's too late to prune.You are going to want to stop right around the time they stop stretching"

So when they stop stretching, are the girls (for the most part) done with creating new flowers ?

PW:
"Wondering if that'll be the final prune? It looks like you only leave the top 3-5 nodes? It could have been done on day 8 but whats the latest date ? Day 14? Thankx PW. Peace."

Seems like the # of nodes may depend slightly on the variety, right? (ie a sativa dom. plant is gonna stretch a lot more. those last couple of nodes are still gonna be fluffy)

How much does TW stretch?
Lavender is more of an indica right? Do you prune all your strains in a similar fashion (ie always leaving 3-5)?

LordOvertoke
excellent thread PW!

this is making a great pictorial essay on how to prune....looking forward to watching it thru flowering.

i may save some of your pics while i'm training myself how to prune properly....both this thread and Lucas popcorn thread have shown me a new way.

LO

whitefly
oh right pw, I've got some plants like that myself
it was the stems on my plant i tested it on went red - normally they're as green as ya lawn

be interesting to see how it goes

identity_theory
I mentioned earlier that I had used Pistil's pruning technique in conjunction with my usual LST training on a Juicy Fruit in my last crop. Results spoke for themselves: Nearly a half pound from one Juicy Fruit plant in about 18 gallons of soil. Had to take it nearly 2-weeks premature, but still kicked ass. Here's a shot of one of the medium-sized buds. Unfortunately, I didn't get the camera til all but my personal stash was sent along to the masses. The pruning produced multiple half-ounce colas. I was very happy to say the least. LISTEN to PISTIL!!!

Pistilwhipt
ThinkTank...Yes the yeilds are expected to be at the very least comparable to letting 'em run wild...in my experience it has always increased yield.When they stop stretching they are done creating new shoots for the most part,however they will continue to stack on the calyxs'. Yes I think it'll be the final major prune,always keep your eyes peeled for some sneaky shoots making a last ditch effort to fire off.Every plant is a little different as far as when to stop pruning , and only xperience will guide you there,this is just a "primer" if you will...2 weeks into flower is a general rule of thumb.As far as far as # of nodes left behind depending on variety...well the point here is to prune to 3 or 4 nodes regardless of variety.With a sativa dom. it just means that a week or so after the first major prune you will most likely have to come back and prune again as the nodes you left behind earlier have now stretched and left 3or4 more above.If you practice this you should not have any fluffy buds period!With the exception very heavy sativa doms of course.Train stretches quite a bit , more than doubles it's size from drop of lights to 12/12.Yes lav. is a more indica dom. , and yes I prune all my plants in this way. Peace , PW

Pistilwhipt
quote:
Originally posted by LordOvertoke
excellent thread PW!

this is making a great pictorial essay on how to prune....looking forward to watching it thru flowering.

i may save some of your pics while i'm training myself how to prune properly....both this thread and Lucas popcorn thread have shown me a new way.

LO

Thanx bro...You've been arond for a while,I appreciate your interest.I'm glad I can help,hopefully this will give people the "HUEVOS" to go ahead and prune their ladies to acheive those beautiful dense frosty nugs we all love!!! Peace , PW

Pistilwhipt
Right on Identity...nice looking nug bro. PW

Lawnboy
Very nice thread here, I have always pruned aggressively but not to this extent, I will give it a shot on a couple plants next grow as I still end up with a good deal of popcorn on some plants.

barrian
PW
Any updates? Pics?

Pistilwhipt
They're comin'...I have been real busy lately...No more pruning is required,so from here on out it will be pretty much a pictorial of the results of my pruning technique.I will post some shots either tonight or tomorrow night. Peace , PW.

DeltaNugz
I'd like to nominate this thread as a sticky. Required reading for the budding grower. Thanks PW! My Romulan kids are looking great I'll post some pics soon.

Pistilwhipt
O'k here goes... Here's a few shots of the train @23 days into flower.You can see how even with the drastic pruning to 3 top nodes, it's filling out and stretching into what will be fat colas. Peace PW ... P.s. bring on the shots Delta Nugz

oaksterdam97
Beautiful PW

Pistilwhipt
To answer your question Tanemahuta...my plants top out at around 5' or so.I apply this technique to all my plants no matter how big or small,always with very favorable results. Peace , PW

identity_theory
Hey, Tanemahuta.... with vertical lighting, you're not going to be plagued with the light penetration problems that us horizontal growers are... thus, I would think that a lot of pruning in your case would reduce your yields...you'll probably get bigger, fatter buds, but so few of them that your overall yield would suffer considerably.. All of this pruning is compensation for limited depth penetration with horizontal lights; a problem not present with vertical lighting...use out of context could be detrimental... just a suggestion..

identity_theory
another note: If you do want to prune with trees, it would be best to prune from the meristem-out, rather than from the base-up...if you know what I mean...perhaps that's what you were considering?

Skitty
Excellent thread PW, thanks !

Pistilwhipt
No sweat skitty... PW

identity_theory
Yes, do try it and let us know how it goes. On a side note, I think a better way of putting what I was saying is that if you prune with horizontal lighting, your popcorn buds will be redirected into larger main colas. With vertical lighting, you're going to have a whole plant of large colas because the lower buds are getting the same amount of lighting as the top buds. There is a problem with the law of diminishing returns when you try to make up for pruning large budsites and attempting to redirect them...you can only regain so much yield from pruned sites...if they were going to be large buds to start with, you're probably not going to recoup them in your top buds... but experimentation is most of the fun in our game....so have fun and good luck!

Pistilwhipt
quote:
if you prune with horizontal lighting, your popcorn buds will be redirected into larger main colas. With vertical lighting, you're going to have a whole plant of large colas because the lower buds are getting the same amount of lighting as the top buds.

Actually bro I have to disagree...You can have all of the light in the world and the buds are only going to get as large/dense as you let them.The whole idea behind this technique is to re-direct the energy of the plant to fewer/stronger bud sites.Whether you garden horizontally,vertically,indoors,or out. Peace , PW

identity_theory
Yes, that's true, but I am very confident that the point of diminishing returns (for yield only) is going to occur at a lower level of pruning with vertical lighting than with horizontal lighting..... in other words.... Less pruning can be done with vertical lighting before it becomes destructive to the yield...the balance is shifted because of the high light levels at the bottom of the plant. That is to say destructive ONLY if total yield is the sole goal...if you're looking for bigger, nicer buds and less trimming, then pruning like a mofo and not worrying about diminishing returns is certainly the way to go. Anyway, I refuse to be told I'm wrong!! Damn you, naysayers!! Anyway, we'll let him try it out and see how it goes...I don't mean to shit all over your thread, Pistil!! Sorry... It's a great thread and I appreciate your contributions very much!

Greenja
Well I'll be finding out, I pruned via PWs suggestion my Ogre growing under vert lighting. I'll post when i have completed the grow for everyones info.

Greenja

Pistilwhipt
quote:
I refuse to be told I'm wrong!!

Uh...you're WRONG!!!...LOL.If you prune your plants in this manner there is no reason you should have your"vertical" lights close to the floor anyways. All this aside I have been using this method for years, and not once have I ever reached a point of diminishing returns.I'm not saying that point can't be reached,perhaps if you were to continue pruning on into say the 5th week of flower or something extreme you might see a decrease in over all yield.For the most part I beleive the "diminishing returns"fear needs to be shelved along with the other antiquated ways of thinking ie; never re-use your soil,succesive transplanting from clone to final container is necessary for plant health,etc...the list goes on...we are pushing the limits of cultivation of our beloved herb.We are the cutting edge! With all due respect the books will only get you so far,and it's hard to shake some of the old ways of thinking. Peace ,PW

identity_theory
Damn you and your due respect!!

Reverend Budbreath
I gotta agree, I keep seeing time and time again the old-school "c'mon, everyone knows that!" tenets of growing being disproven. As I've confessed in another thread, "Indoor Marijuana Horticulture" by Cervantes screwed my head up for years with its flat-out wrong statements about 1000 watts of HID being appropriate for a 10' x 10' area. I kept seeing those photos of people's fat rooms in High Times and wondering what the hell they were doing right that I didn't know about... well, they had figured out before I had that to get good yields, 1000 watts can only be used to cover about 4' x 4'! And Cervantes was and probably still is considered and expert and guru! WTF? So based on that experience alone, I say nearly all bets are off!

And of course, CW forums are 10 times better than any book because it is real-world, real-time info.

Dowzer
quote:
"As I've confessed in another thread, "Indoor Marijuana Horticulture" by Cervantes screwed my head up for years with its flat-out wrong statements about 1000 watts of HID being appropriate for a 10' x 10' area. I kept seeing those photos of people's fat rooms in High Times and wondering what the hell they were doing right that I didn't know about... well, they had figured out before I had that to get good yields, 1000 watts can only be used to cover about 4' x 4'!" - Reverend Budbreath

10' x 10' area...?! LMAO! You'd have a room full of spindly twigs.

I've found that in 2 gal. pots...9 plants fit comfortably within the footprint of my 1000W Lumenarc III. (see pic) God...remember when High Times used to be a decent rag? Like Rolling Stone...they've sold out and turned to shit IMHO.

Pistilwhipt...good thread! Looks like I'm on the right track, but I may even get a little more aggresive with my pruning.

Pistilwhipt
Thanks dowzer... That's the idea,push your girls to within their limits.They will love you for it and reward you with the huge dense frosty nugz you've been dreaming of!!! Peace PW

Pistilwhipt
I'll try to post some new shots in the next day or so...As I said , no more pruning has been required so...Now it's just a matter of watchin' the girls fatten up. Till then... PW

spacecaptain
wel pistalwhipt im doin as ya say man and have noticed the bud sites swelling faster and more obvious and hey who gives a fuk i dont do popcorn budz i just give that lower part of plant to friends who have more patience than me

lol

sc

Pistilwhipt
Save the popcorn for the movies my bruthas!!! PW

Pistilwhipt
Allrighty then...Here's a few shots @ 37 days flower. Peace , PW

Pistilwhipt
Hey if anyone's hip on how to adjust the color settings on the camera to compensate for the sodium lights please hit me up. Thanx , PW

Pistilwhipt
Thanks 2mjw.Yeah ,at least 20 days.As far as the camera goes, it's the f2 settings I don't get...guess I'll keep fiddling around with it. PW

Pistilwhipt
Right on,thanx bro... PW

==================================================

(More to come)