Water curing is a rather controversial method of curing bud, but it does have its uses. If you have good-tasting bud that has been flushed, you probably won't want to water cure it. Times when water curing will help:

Bad tasting bud - Water curing will remove most of the flavor from bud.

Harshness - Water curing will help remove a lot of the chemicals from the bud, making it less harsh to smoke and easier on your lungs

Cooking - Water curing removes a lot of the chlorophyll and chemicals from the bud, which helps make better tasting cannabutter or other food items.

Odor - If odor is a problem when drying your bud, water curing eliminates the odor problem.

Time - Instead of slow-drying your bud and then curing it in jars for 30-60 days, water curing can reach approximately the same level of cure and smoothness in only 5-10 days.

Water curing removes a lot of taste and odor from the bud. This is good if you have nasty tasting bud, water curing can help remove the taste and make the weed more palatable.

Water curing also removes chlorophyll and chemicals from the bud. This is very good if you are going to be making butter from the bud.

Since water curing removes some of the weight and bulk from the bud, the THC becomes more concentrated. Some claim that water curing makes the bud more potent; that is not true, but you will get more THC per hit because you will be getting less vegetable matter per hit.

Water curing tends to darken the color of the bud (some varieties can literally almost turn black). This makes the "bag appeal" a lot lower.

It also makes the bud weigh less because of the removed gunk, which can be a problem if the bud is destined for sale.

How To

You can water cure fresh bud or already dried bud.

Put the buds loosely into a container. Don't fill the container more than about 2/3 full.

Cover the buds with fresh cool water (not cold, definitely not hot). I prefer to use RO filtered water, but tap water works fine.

Put something on top of the buds to hold them under the water.

Once a day, drain off the water and fill the container with fresh water.

Most of the nasty stuff will be washed out in the first 4-5 days, but you can continue to cure the bud for up to 10 days.

When you are ready to dry the bud, drain as much water off as you can. I lay the buds on top of a couple of towels to let the towels absorb some of the water.

Put the buds loosely on top of a grate or screen so there is lots of air flow. Depending on quantity of bud and relative humidity, the buds should be dry in about a day. You can use a food dehydrator to dry the buds quicker, if you have one. Quick drying won't hurt water-cured bud any!

Last time I water cured some bud, I measured the TDS of the runoff each day. This bud was cured using RO water with a starting TDS of 10. These numbers are PPM using .7 conversion.

Day 1: 1650 ppm
Day 2: 600 ppm
Day 3: 350 ppm
Day 4: 190 ppm
Day 5: 110 ppm
Day 6: 90 ppm
Day 7: 80 ppm
Day 8: 70 ppm

Good growing....